Saturday, October 11, 2008

Children's Faith Learning

I have been spending more time with the kids talking about prayer and God's presence all of the time, not just on Sunday mornings. Really, I have been doing more for my own benefit than anything else, trying to get myself more grounded in His presence. Because of this, the kids are starting to bring the things we talk about into their everyday world.

Because it's Sunday, I thought I would share an example of each of our boys in their faith growth.

Noah first...that's the joy of being the oldest I guess. As I was going through his take home folder from school a few days ago, I found this.

Can you tell what it is?

During their free time at the end of the day, they are allowed to cut, draw, glue, whatever if all of their work is done.

Noah's creation for the day was Jesus on the cross. He cut it out and drew the picture with Jesus sad because of the nails in his hands and feet, which he drew quite clearly.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of this. Yes, there are certainly way more happy stories from the bible that we have talked about, and it isn't even Lent so they haven't been talking about it at church.

But at the same time, the cross is the basis of his faith and I will probably always keep it as a a demonstration of his faith journey.




Aaron's example is a little more upbeat. The other night, when we were saying our prayers, Aaron was completing the last word of each line as I was saying the Lord's Prayer. So I went to get the camera (of course) and he just started saying the whole thing (In Aaron-speak, of course)

Enjoy...





I hope you are having a wonderful Lord's Day.


1 comment:

bethn said...

Way to go boys! I love Aaron's prayer. Dylan is in I won't pray, I'm too tired mode right now. It's a battle every night. I wish I could get away from that. Happy Sunday to you too.