Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Skeletons in January?!?

My Noah is five years old. He is in Kindergarten and learning to read and write and is doing some math problems on his own. As a matter of fact, when I was contemplating homeschooling I did not think he would learn to read and choose to do math independently within the first three months of school.
However,
My Noah also has some issues. Discipline issues. He has very good days and some less than perfect days. If he has a bad day at school, I usually email the teacher the next day to find out what the offenses were so we can discuss. This is of course after Noah has told me what they were. It is sometimes interesting to hear the difference between what he tells me and what the teacher says.

Yesterday Noah got in trouble for shouting at his teacher. A five year old SHOULD NOT shout at a teacher. When he gets in trouble, he usually, in his mind, has a reason. So I asked him, "Why did you shout at your teacher?" His response was completely reasonable in his 5 year old mind. "Mom, she was making us learn skeletons. Skeletons are for Halloween!"

He has been punished for yelling at the teacher, but knowing Noah as I do, he really does believe that his teacher is out of her mind. Personally, I love hearing the way he thinks through things. He is a thinker that will do amazing things some day when his maturity level matches that of his thoughts.

Have a great Tuesday all.

1 comment:

Deb said...

It's so funny to hear their reasoning for things and to try and figure out how their minds work. Noah has such a creative mind - I love hearing what he comes up with! :)