Thursday, January 24, 2008

To X-Ray or Not to X-Ray

I don't really know how this is going to play out. Either Noah is milking something or he is truly injured and I am an unfeeling git (can you tell I read Harry Potter today?) Here's the story:

Today when I dropped the boys off at the babysitter around 3:00 I headed into the house with Aaron and all of a sudden Noah starts crying and screaming. Well, he can have his moments of drama so I didn't make a lot of it. He said he slammed his arm in the van door. I looked at it and it wasn't discolored or swollen so I kissed it and went on my way. Fast forward to 5:30. I am at the Music store teaching when I get a call from my husband. "Noah is still complaining that his arm hurts and he had Traci (the babysitter) call Steve to pick him up early because it hurt. Steve(my husband) says that it is not swollen or discolored still so I still don't know what to do. So I rescheduled my last two lessons to come home and check it out for myself. Noah has an EXTREME intolerance to Red Dye 40 so I told Steve to give him infant Tylenol until I got home. I think even that has some dye in it so I'll have to check that. I got home and Noah was nursing his arm A LITTLE but it is still not discolored or swollen. So I decided that I am going to wait and see how it is in the morning.

I am stressing a little over this approach. If I were to take him in tonight for an x-ray and it's fine then I will have wasted our money and his precious sleep over nothing. But I will have been able to take him in without Aaron tagging along. If I wait until the morning and it is swollen then I have to trek Noah and his brother into the med center. I don't know if it hurts less right now because of the tylenol and ice all night or if it's because there really is nothing wrong. I wish I would have seen it happen so I would know just how hard the door slammed.

This whole post is probably about nothing but we as parents are always the ones to worry the most. I guess I will continue this saga tomorrow morning when we see how he is.

4 comments:

KC said...

~sigh~
I wish we moms had all the answers. You sound like I did last night wondering if I made the right choice not taking Little Man to the ER.

That being said.. when my brother was little he broke his arm playing in the yard. My parents didn't see it happen and didn't really think he broke it because there was never any swelling or discoloration.. and it's gets better.. while he was complaining it hurts.. he was still hitting my sister with the broken arm and going on useing it and playing with it then complaining when he was done that it was killing him. They didn't take him in because they were sure if it was broken he wouldn't be using it like he was. The next day he was sill complaining so they took him to the doctors did the x-rays and sure enough it was broken and they needed to cast it. So don't go just by if it is swelling up or not.. UGH it is so hard to know when to take them in and when not too. I have been a mom for 12 years now and I still question myself on this sort of stuff. (((HUGS))))
I hope it isn't broken and that it stops hurting him soon.

Deb said...

Oh that's such a hard one. You know Noah the best though - is he a complainer in general? It doesn't seem so to me. Now if it were Hannah, I'd ignore it - although that one backfired on me at dinner the other night when her stomach ache turned out to be something real for the 1 time out of 100 times that she's complained of them...

If he's having a hard time sleeping or still complaining in the morning, go ahead and take him in - to ease your own mind if nothing else.

Did I ever tell you about when I broke my arm? I can't remember... Anyway, when I was in 2nd grade, I was jumping around being silly and fell on my left arm. My mom didn't think much of it at first, but when I was still complaining the next day that it hurt, she took me in. The hospital wouldn't even take her seriously and told her to take me home, there was nothing wrong. But she insisted that I wouldn't be this upset if it didn't really hurt, so they finally x-rayed it to humor her. And I'd cracked one of the bones in my forearm, near my wrist and needed a cast. Mom says that after the x-ray came back, the hospital staff suddenly couldn't do enough for me...

I hope his arm is ok!!

Whitney said...

Well-hope only good comes out of the arm problem. I can see how you would worry. Hope you don't end up at the Med Center or ER. See ya Sunday...without a cast:)

Melany aka Supermom said...

I would probably do what you are doing. If he can bend it and handle pressure on it, it should be okay. Here's to hoping your instinct is spot on :)