Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Idea of "Vacation"

It's kind of hard to get motivated for the "work/school week" right now. I have finished packing Noah's, Aaron's, and my suitcase for our trip and the suitcase is sitting in the middle of the hall waiting for Steve's stuff. Most people would think I am being silly in how excited we all are about a four day trip to St. Louis, but that's okay. We didn't get away for a vacation at all last year. We can't afford trips to warm islands like so much of the rest of our family.

For us, the time away from life for a few days will be priceless.

The first "vacation" I ever took didn't happen until I was married for four years. My sister had planned to get married in Disney World so along with my dad, step mom, brother, and his girlfriend at the time (now my sister-in-law) we bought tickets fro a trip to Disney for the wedding. This was the trip where I discovered I would never fly again...but that's another story.

My sister ended up moving her wedding date up and held it on the football field at Northwestern University. Don't call her unoriginal.

But we decided to go anyway. We had such a wonderful time just the six of us and I am glad we got to go once before any of us had kids.

Once kids started coming, I always wanted to make an effort to take a "vacation" each year. Steve has wonderful memories of family trips (remember those station wagons when you were piled in without seat belts?). He has such fun stories of trips he took camping and other trips with his cousins. We have both wanted that for our family.

Luckily, we have been able to plan small trips almost every year. We have been to Mackinac Island (Poor Jenny was SOOO pregnant with Odin in the heat),

Wisconsin Dells (I was pregnant with AA and couldn't get on the water slides at Great Wolf Lodge),

Jenny holding Baby Odin, Noah in the car













and Lake Geneva (Jenny pregnant for Kira this time).



Noah at 3 years, Baby Aaron











We didn't take a vacation last year together while Jenny was pregnant for Ronin.
I hope one of these years my sister and her family will be able to join us.

So this year we are off to St. Louis. Matt's family went last year on their way to Texas and they enjoyed it. The nice thing is NO ONE is pregnant this time. We have NO restrictions...woo hoo!

So, back to the beginning of this story. I am having a very hard time putting together meals, lunches, and babysitter schedules (our babysitter is on vacation this week, too) for the two days before we leave because I just want to GO. It is supposed to be in the 50's here all week and 70's there.

So although we are not whisking away to a tropical island, the time away with my family will indeed be the break we all need. I look forward to coming back with fun or silly stories and pictures to share.

P.S. If anyone out there lives in the St. Louis area and wants to recommend fun activities for our trip while we're there...I would love to hear them. We're kind of winging it. :)

Happy Monday.

9 comments:

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I'm just across the state, but I've been to St. Louis often. The Arch of course is popular, but if you are clausterphobic you may not want to take the little pod to the top! If it's windy it will sway in the wind. You get an excellent view. The Magic House is a lot of fun. I don't know where exactly it is located, but it has lots of science things that the kids will really like. It's in an old house. The zoo in St. Louis is pretty popular as is Science City. I have never been to Science City, but I hear it is free (unlike ours). For shopping, Union Station is fun. If you like Italian food, you should certainly look into finding "the hill" which has many great Italian restaurants. I'd ask my husband where it is, but he just left today for Washington D.C. and won't be back till Wednesday.

I hope you have fun. I'm excited to hear what you do since I've been there myself.

Lindy said...

I know what you mean about 'just wanting to go' -- those days leading up to departure are exhausting! I hope you have a fabulous time, though! :D

Mom Knows Everything said...

Have a great trip!

MomOf4 said...

I hope you have a wonderful time! St. Louis is a great city! Going up in the arch is fun! The kids would love it! Enjoy the anticipation of vacation! :)

Laski said...

Oh, I hope you have a blast! You and the family deserve it (we've had way too long a winter!!!).

I loved the Dells! Haven't been to St. Louis! Be sure to fill us in!

Love the pics from the past!

bethn said...

Have a great trip. I know how hard it is to function in the days before a trip. Can't wait to see the pics.

Courtney said...

How nice for you guys. I'm sure you'll have fun. Don't think it is nothing extravagant because it is. We are going for 2 days this summer about 21/2 hours away to a zoo and to see my husbands best friend and I am all ready beyond excited. See such simple pleasures and I wouldn't have my life any other way!

KC said...

I'm no help.. I have only been though St Louis once, that was last month. We only stopped at the arch and then a gas station because Princess had to use the bathroom LOL..
I hope you have a fun trip.. we are heading away for the weekend leaving friday night heading 3 hours south for a softball tournament and then coming home sunday night... I think these mini vacations will be it for us this summer.. unless Princess softball team make it to nationals then we will be heading out of state again.. but I had two nice spring vacations one with my parents and one to TN for a few days with the softball team so I guess I'll live LOL.. I like the softball team trips because then at least part of the trip is paid for. but if gas prices keep going up the little softball trips might be cutting way back or coming to a stop.

Ally said...

Love those pictures, as always! (I love the photos on your blog.)

What a fun post, about vacations and getting away. :)

I hope your trip to St. Louis is fun. It is so nice to getaway once in a while, even if it's only to the next town!