Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Snow memories

I'm cooooollllllldddd!!!!!!!!!!!

Have I mentioned within the last 3.2 seconds that I haven't been able to feel my fingers since October. I know that here in Michigan we always get a lot of snow and it is always cold in Winter, but this year I have had it!

Last night I actually taught piano in my socks (yes, I know...very unprofessional), because I stepped in slush on the way in and froze my toes. It was -12 wind chill outside at the time.

So, instead of my constant complaining about the cold, I thought I would instead simply remind myself that once in a while, we do actually have fun outside in the snow. I would be remiss if I didn't bring you along for the ride.

We did have fun leaving out reindeer seed on Christmas Eve















We did have fun sledding behind Papa's tractor




















We did have fun sledding last year at the park




















We did have fun at the Christmas zoo with our cousins Odin and Kira and Aunt Jenny



















We did have fun making a snowman with Daddy. (That is not Noah's middle finger)















So next time I start griping about my frozen fingers, I now have something on which to look back.

I also remember what my friend Carole said at church this past Sunday. We have a refugee family from Burundi that we have taken under our wings as a church. The kids are starting to learn a little English but the parents are still struggling. Carole had them over dinner last week, and she said the adults couldn't stop giggling at the snow.
I also remember the New Year's Eve when I was in college when I went to an ecumenical college student convention in St. Louis. There were college students from all over the country together. It snowed that night and it was the first time I had seen people react to snow who had never seen it before. It is a sight I still remember even though it was 13 or 14 years ago (Steve would know how long... we started dating about 24 hours after this trip was completed.)
So there it is, I have to accept that snow has it's good points. I know about 7 months from now, I will be creating a post complaining about how HOT it is outside and how I wish for some snow.
That is the good thing about living in Michigan. If you don't like the weather, wait 24 hours and it will change.
Have a nice Tuesday.

9 comments:

Whitney said...

That is soooo true! I do enjoy the snow days that I get out of it:) FHPS is at 36 hours missed and we are only allowed 30 hours so as of right now we have to make up one day! I hate snow now:) See ya tomorrow!

Unknown said...

I love snow too!Although I don't like driving in it.
BTW, I'm inviting you over to my new blog to list your blog on the directory and enter a few cool contests exclusively to blogging moms. :)
See ya then! Thanks! :)
www.hipmamasplace.com

Anonymous said...

Snow looks pretty. But even in the heat of summer, I never wish for it.

Hillary said...

I'm not a big snow fan either. Unless I'm inside with a cup of cocoa watching it come down. But I think I'd take cold over hot anyday.

Dreams and Designs said...

Oh man, I feel for you! Here in Iowa we are having an AWFUL winter also! I have forgotten what grass looks like! Hang in there... someday it WILL return!

Happy Days said...

you have a beautiful family! love the snow pictures! I am with you, I can't wait for the sunshine! thanks for coming by!

Deb said...

Ugh - I am so ready for spring! :)

I love that you had to dig into last year's photos to help find some of the kids having fun in snow - the darn cold makes it so much worse this year...

Courtney said...

I feel your pain on that one. It is the same way in Ohio. It will change in the next 24 hours. I try to enjoy the cold because we don't have central air so in the summer I am a huge complainer about how hot it is.

Shana said...

Well, I look at it this way... I want to move where it is always 72 degrees outside. I hate the cold and the hot. But the older I get the harder it is for me to tolerate the cold. So, when it does get hot out I just remind myself of how much more I hate the cold. LOL!!!

Those are some really fun pictures!