Wednesday, June 4, 2008

What Did You Do Wednesday Night?

I got a call while Aaron was sleeping this afternoon. It was from our church secretary telling me that these were sitting in the choir room with my name on them.














So when Steve got home from work, I headed out the door, leaving him to put the boys to bed. When I got there, I spent two and half hours opening, unwrapping, folding, and sorting. this is what the final product looked like:














Are you curious yet?



Wait no more...














Yes, our hand bells have arrived. Thanks to a very generous family in our church, we are now the proud owners of three octaves of hand bells and all of the "fixin's".

I am excited and scared to death at the same time. I started the tone chime groups in our church five years ago. Throughout that time, I have dealt with tempers flaring about so many things. It seems that whatever I do to try to make things "fair" for people, someone gets mad. I know that is just the way of being a church employee, but it is still always hard when someone has been inadvertently upset about something.

I feel as if the expectations of our group have now reached a new level. Should someone play the wrong bell, lose their place in the music, DROP a bell, not get to play ENOUGH, or umpteen million other things that can go wrong, it all falls on my shoulders.

I spend countless hours planning for performances and practices, and will continue to do so to the best of my ability. I don't expect recognition for these efforts. My reward is a successful performance, of which we had quite a few for the first time this past year. I would, however, wish for a little lenience this time around as we are getting our feet wet. This is new to all of us.

I will pray for patience each and every week as we prepare. I will also pray that others will share the same courtesy of patience with me. I feel it is important to play well, in order to enhance the worship experience of the congregation, rather than impede. To play such a vital role in the worship service cannot be taken lightly. To the rest of the group, this is a fun church activity. To me, it is a commitment to God, my church, and our members to give it my all and be responsible for every note being played and every sound being made. I just don't want to disappoint anyone, especially those who invested money or time. I feel as if there is this huge weight on my shoulder and I don't want anyone to believe that I am not doing all I can to make their efforts worth while.

I am sure I will share a video of our first performance in September. I know that we, the Joyful Ringers of Ada Congregational Church, are all excited and you, my blog friends, will be along for the ride.

This being said, aren't they pretty?

Happy Thursday.

15 comments:

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I'm sure you'll do great. And, yes, they are pretty!

KC said...

why yes, Yes they are pretty..
((((((HUGS))))) Kristi you sound stressed over all that what ifs, and what mights.. Try to keep in mind, your not there to please other people, ONLY God.. and the best way to do that is to turn this over to Him.. Say here Lord these are yours work though me to do your will. Guess what, maybe His will isn't for a perfect performances Maybe it is.. When you turn it over to God and make this His project.. You can't go wrong NO MATTER WHAT..
Then head on out there and Make a joyful noise unto the Lord.. Leave that burden you feel on your back at his feet and don't take it back.
(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

Deb said...

I wish I'd been feeling better and could've gone with you. They are very pretty - and I know that they'll sound just as beautiful. :)

Becky said...

How exciting! Wow...that was quite a generous gift for someone to give. Those are going to sound FABULOUS...especially around Christmas. I have many fond memories of handbell-choirs around Christmas time.

I only wish we had one out here to go caroling with...it would make the perfect accompaniment. Not to mention that too few folks do that anymore.

Ladybug Crossing said...

I recognized those boxes immediately!! Congratulations!
Now the real work begins. You will find that getting commitment out of people is the hardest part, but once you've got 'em - they stay forever.
Good luck!!
xo
LBC

Summer said...

Those bells are lovely.

I just got asked to serve as our Church's music director. I'm looking forward to it.

Shana said...

I can just about hear the sweet sounds that are sure to come from them.

I understand all to well about trying to make your church family happy and not being able too. But KC is right, we have to strive to please the Lord, and the rest will fall into place. :o)

Jennifer Kindle said...

That's AWESOME!!!! How very exciting. What a huge undertaking and an exciting adventure all at the same time. Parker loved Noah's latest drawing of the arch and your cards are STILL on my island...girl, I have ZERO stamps since I pay everything online!!!! Promise them before 2009!!

Toni said...

They are lovely...Truly lovely.

You'll do a fine job- have faith! (:

www.frogparenting.blogspot.com said...

Those bells are so AWESOME !

They look like precious jewels -- just waiting for happy hands-- to create wonderful memories!

I wonder if you could ask that~
the church pray,for protection, and only joy -- over the bells and -- then ask any who touch them to sign a paper of commitment to treasure them?

Stunning! --

Chrissy said...

I love love love listening to hand bell choirs. So beautiful. I'll be looking forward to the video of your first performance. :)

Whitney said...

Kristi,
THE BELLS LOOK GREAT!!! Oh, I can't wait to see them in person!!!! I want to say that this year, we are going to have sooo many changes...all for the good.
I LOVE what you do and I KNOW it can't be easy. You are a gift from God with all of your talents! I wish I could have joined you last night:) Anyway, keep me update on how it all turns out.
I think we do need to have faith, and still remember that what happens, is what happens. I know we are all on the same learning curve. I hope that I end up doing that summer camp for some new help:) Ok, enough said...lots to get done.
Can't wait to see them...Sunday maybe??

Melissa said...

Oh, I'm sure everything will work out and you will do a fantastic job. We have hand bells at our church too and they sound beautiful! Good luck to you.

Mom Knows Everything said...

I bet they are going to sound beautiful!

Scarlet O'Kara said...

Yeah! You will have to post some clips from your performances.