Sunday, May 4, 2008

City Museum

Okay, if you have ever been to the City Museum in St. Louis, please let me know how you would describe it.

If not, I can't possibly begin. I would have to direct you to their website for some other pictures. Here is the sight when we walked in the door.














Kind of like something from out of Dr. Seuss.

It is so NOT a museum.

Let's start with the cave inside. Little bitty tunnels, completely pitch black, everywhere, where people have no idea where or when they will come out. Some tunnels are big enough for grown-ups, some only small enough for a five year old.



Noah deciding whether to go into the little hole in the lower right (he didn't)













Aaron and Kira















Now imagine a coil from a mattress, enlarge it big enough for an adult to crawl through, and spiral it around up three stories. Have Noah climb up the coil, and then slide down the same three stories on a conveyor belt.




























Next, find out that there is actually going to be a circus act up on the third floor. Go with the family and watch Daddy get picked, along with three Daddy Look-Alikes to become part of the act.














The favorite area for our boys was the BIG BOWL. Noah discovered that he could hang from the pipes in the ceiling and DROP down the entire height to the floor. I had a great video of it, but for some reason Blogger won't cooperate...maybe later.

Here's the hanging...















Followed by the slidging














The boys (Yes, all three) played on this thing for at least 45 minutes, and then had sweat pouring down their faces.



















Believe it or not, they even got Mommy to go down. I was scared.














Do you get the impression that this isn't a "museum" yet?

While we were there, a woman from a local TV station was doing a story on tourism to St. Louis and stopped and interviewed us as to why we picked St. Louis for a vacation. It will air around May 21st and I will post a link when it comes on.














There is also an aquarium within it as well, where a sea turtle came and posed for the camera.














Noah liked the tube that he could climb right through where the sharks were swimming.



















Did I mention the train running through the middle of the third floor?














How about the iron climbing structures on the outside that ran the entire height of the warehouse?














Once again, I can't really give you a good idea of what this place is about. It is actually made for older people in my opinion. I would not recommend it for kids under 5 because a lot of the climbing is somewhat challenging. But I would definitely suggest visiting the City Museum if you venture to St. Louis.

12 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

That isn't like any museum that I have ever been to. It looks more like an amusement park. I wanna go!

Melissa said...

WOW!! That "museum" looks like so much fun! Looks like you guys had a blast. And I would have never tried that big bowl. Good for yoU!

bethn said...

Wow That looks like a lot of fun. I think St. Louis is now on my vacation wish list.

Jen@BigBinder said...

That looks amazing! We went to St. Louis for New Years this year to visit our friends who moved there last year. I will definitely make sure we go next time we head that way!

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I don't know if I've even heard of the City Museum. I know we've never gone. I'll have to remember that for the next time we visit.

Chrissy said...

That place looks A-W-E-some! Looks like you guys had a blast!

Deb said...

I love the pictures - you sounded so excited when you were trying to describe it and the pictures really help to see what it's like. Sounds like a blast!! :)

Summer said...

WOW! I wish we had something like that around here.

Whitney said...

Oh, Kristi I am so glad you had a good vacation!! And what a fun museum!!! Love the pictures and can't wait to see more!!!

www.frogparenting.blogspot.com said...

WOW!
I can't view all the pictures, because my computer is being difficult-- but your descriptions are --amazing!

It's good to hear that you all enjoyed yourselves--

sounds like a happy vacation to me!

KC said...

WOW that sounds like the coolest place ever and looks like the kids had a blast..

Lindy said...

Holy cow! I'm with you -- I was looking through your pictures trying to imagine keeping up with my two there -- yikes! Does look like a fun place for the older kids though :)