Monday, July 7, 2008

Tackle It Tuesday #4 Thank You Notes

I was raised to always write thank you notes.

I always write them. I always get them into envelopes and address them.

Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10 they never make it into the mail for some reason. The excuses are ridiculous but by the time I get around to mailing them it seems so long after the fact that it seems silly to send them.

I am trying to do better with the boys.

We initiated the rule last year at Noah's birthday and then this past Christmas that a toy does NOT get opened until the thank you card is written. Then, Noah is begging to get the notes written so that he can open the toy.














Last year, he was only required to write the person to whom the note was written's name and his name. This year, I am writing out the whole note and he is copying it. I know it's not from the heart, but it is a good way to start teaching him and it's better than standing there for a half hour spelling each and every word.

With four days of birthday celebrations this weekend, there are a LOT of notes to write. I think we will tackle them at quiet time today.

(sorry the shot is blurry)

And hopefully I will get them into the mail in a timely fashion. It hardly seems fair for him to do all the work to write them if I don't get my butt in gear and send them.





So if you are reading this and you are on the list for a thank you card (and I know there are a lot of you out there), please be patient...they're on the way.







I'd love to hear what others are tackling today.

10 comments:

bethn said...

OH my you are better than me. I have missed Thank you notes for the boys for 2 years now. It's the same way for me. By the time I get around to writing them it feels like it's too late and then I give up. My tackle was tons of school papers and other piles of papers and finishing Alex's room. I was so very motivated today and it was rainy and then too hot to be outside so it was a good day to be busy inside. Anyways, have a great day!

Deb said...

The only time I ever make an effort to do thank-you notes is for people who weren't there when the gift was opened to be thanked in person. I guess it maybe has something to do with never having done them when I was growing up. I have the feeling though that even if I tried, they'd never get out in the mail either. :)

Kailani said...

In this world of emails and text messaging, I think it's great that you're teaching your kids the art of writing thank you notes. I know I always treasure the ones that I receive!

Aloha ~ Kailani
An Island Life

Dad of Divas said...

What a great rule... I think I may just have to steal it. We are good at getting out the thank you cards, but Diva-J still would rather do other things...once she starts writing though I think this is a great way to motivate them to show gratitude.

Courtney said...

I only do them if my kids did not thank them in person. Graduations, weddings, stuff like that will have thank you notes. A kids b-day party just doesn't seem quite so important. Maybe I'm rude.

Pretty Momma said...

I'm with you - I love the idea of thank-you cards. Unfortunately, the kids are not as thrilled. I force them, but it's like pulling teeth. I like the idea of not opening until you write the card!

Happy TT!

Carrie
www.mountainrailwayblog.com

Mom said...

I am with you on the Thank you notes, I have started my daughter on the thank you note kick as well she hates doing it but she loves the attetnion she gets when she sends it.

Anonymous said...

amen! i was raised to do them too! kudos for doing it!!

Mom Knows Everything said...

That's a great idea about not opening the toy until a thank you note is written! I'm going to have to try that.

Melissa said...

I'm with ya! Thank you notes are a must in this house. I'm so anal about it they are usually written and mailed within a day or two of receiving the gift!